Ferrous Sulphate 200mg Iron Tablets
Please note - Actavis is now a part of Accord. Packaging may state Actavis or Accord
Ferrous Sulphate Tablets work by restoring iron levels in the body. When the body does not get enough iron, it cannot produce the number of normal red blood cells needed to keep you in good health.
How to take Ferrous Sulphate 200mg Tablets:
- 1 tablet daily with a glass of water.
- Avoid the following for 1-2 hours before and after taking this medicine: tea, coffee, milk, eggs and whole grains as they can reduce iron absorption.
- Meat and products containing Vitamin C can increase iron absorption; your dietician or doctor may or may not advise you to take these with Ferrous Sulphate Tablets.
- DO NOT take two doses at the same time.
- Check the label to see how many tablets to take and how often to take them.
- The usual dosage(s) are described below:
- Age group Dosage Adults and the elderly: Treatment: 2-3 tablets daily in divided doses.
Caution before taking Ferrous Sulphate 200mg Tablets:
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, or you are unsure, talk to your pharmacist or doctor in the following cases.
- Do not take in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy unless advised by a GP.
- Contains sorbic acid which is an irritant and could cause dermatitis.
- Receiving repeated blood transfusions
- Blood or absorption issues other than iron-deficiency anaemia
- Iron metabolism disorder
- Liver disease
- Intestinal problems
- Are you taking other medicines? Always read the information supplied
- Contains glucose, sucrose and lactose.
Do not take more tablets than recommended dose.
Sometimes unwanted side effects can occur which may include constipation, diarrhoea, stomach upset and pain with feeling sick. Stools may be coloured black. If concerned about these effects or get any other unusual effects, tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately. Most people taking this medicine will not experience any problems.
White, circular, biconvex sugar-coated tablets.
The tablet core contains:
Spray dried liquid glucose, Stearic acid, Magnesium stearate, Microcrystalline cellulose (101) (E460), Lactose granules containing lactose, Maize starch, Pregelatinised maize starch
Purified talc (E553), Acacia (E414), Gelatin, Sucrose, Titanium dioxide (E171)
The tablets also contain:
Yellow carnauba wax