Allevyn AG Gentle Wound Dressings
Antimicrobial hydrocellular foam dressing with soft gel adhesive for the treatment of moderately to highly exuding wounds on patients with fragile or sensitive skin where infection or infection risk needs to be managed.Features and Benefits
- The Allevyn foam prevents leakage and reduces risk of maceration of the wound and surrounding skin - fewer painful dressing changes means less stress for your patients.
- The silver dressing provides an effective barrier to microbial contamination protecting the wound from invasive pathogenic microorganisms, thus assisting faster healing:
- Effective in vitro against a broad range of pathogens, including bacteria, yeast, fungi and antibiotic-resistant strains
- Easy to use - silver is released when in contact with wound fluid
- Does not form pseudoeschar (unlike other SSD preparations)
- Do not use on patients known to be hypersensitive to silver sulfadiazine or sulfonamides
- As sulfonamides are known to cause kernicterus, Allevyn Ag Gentle should not be used on females who are at, or near term pregnancy or lactating, on premature infants or on newborn infants during the first months of life
- For external use only
- Allevyn Ag Gentle is not compatible with oxidizing agents (e.g. EUSOL) or hydrogen peroxide, as these can break down the absorbent polyurethane component of the dressing.
- Allevyn Ag Gentle may not be compatible with topical anti-microbials.
- In the event of clinical infection, topical silver does not replace the need for systemic therapy or other adequate infection treatment.
- It should be noted that inappropriate use or too frequent dressing changes, particularly on patients with fragile skin may result in skin stripping.
- Avoid contact with electrodes or conductive gels during electronic measurements e.g. EEG and ECG.
- When Allevyn Ag Gentle is used on a patient during MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) examination some warming may be experienced.
- Allevyn Ag Gentle is not compatible with oil based products such as petrolatum.
- Allevyn Ag Gentle is not suitable for use alone on cavity wounds but may be used over cavity wounds as a secondary dressing.
- As with all products containing silver sulfadiazine the following precautions should be noted, especially when covering a large surface area with the dressing.
- Use caution in patients with significant hepatic or renal impairment.
- Use caution in individuals known to have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Effects of systemically administered drugs may be altered. This can especially apply to oral hypoglycaemic agents and to phenytoin. In the case of these drugs, it is recommended that blood levels should be monitored as their effect can be potentiated.