Normacol Plus GranulesNormacol Plus Granules are used to treat constipation in adults and children over 12 years, and to initiate and maintain bowel action after rectal surgery or a haemorrhoidectomy.
Normacol Plus Granules contain Sterculia, a gum obtained from the Karaya tree that is naturally high in fibre and Frangula Bark, a gentle laxative. The Stericula forms a soft bulky stool and induces a laxative effect, while the Frangula Bark provides an additional laxative effect to aid the softened stool through the bowel to bring natural relief from constipation.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: 1-2 heaped 5ml spoonfuls, once or twice daily after meals.
Children 6-12 years: A reduced amount may be given at the discretion of your doctor.
The granules should be placed dry on the tongue and without chewing or crushing, swallowed immediately with plenty of water or a cool drink. Alternatively, they can be sprinkled onto and taken with soft food such as yoghurt, before drinking plenty of water or a cool drink. Do not take immediately before going to bed or in a recumbent position.
If you do not have a bowel movement after taking the granules for 4 days, stop the treatment and consult your doctor.
- Active Ingredient: Sterculia 62% w/w, Frangula Bark 8% w/w.
- Other Ingredients: Sucrose, Talc, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Hard Paraffin, Peppermint Flavouring, Colourings: E110, E127 and E132.
Do not take:
- If you have intestinal obstruction, faecal impaction, and total atony of the colon.
- If you have known hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients.
- If you have rare hereditary problems of fructose intolerance, glucose–galactose malabsorption or sucrase-isomaltase insufficiency.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Caution should be exercised in cases of ulcerative colitis.
Prolonged and excessive use of stimulant laxatives can cause dependence and loss of normal bowel function.