Indications and Prescribability
MCT Pepdite can be recommended for use in infants to provide complete nutritional support or as a supplementary feed where there is severe impairment of the gastrointestinal tract and where a high MCT, semi-elemental diet is required such as:
1. Severe malabsorption where there are difficulties with fat absorption e.g. lymphatic disorders.
2. Short bowel syndrome following intestinal resection.
3. Bowel fistulae.
4. Transition from parenteral to enteral nutrition.
The quantity of MCT Pepdite should be determined by a clinician or a dietitian only and is dependent on the age, body weight and medical condition of the patient.
Preparation & Administration
Each level scoop (5g) of MCT Pepdite requires 30ml of water (approximately 1fl.oz) to yield the recommended feed concentration of 15%.
1. Wash hands thoroughly and clean preparation area. Sterilise bottles and teats.
2. Boil fresh water for 5 minutes and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes so that it feels warm to the wrist. Pour the required amount of water into a sterilised feeding bottle.
3. Fill the scoop provided with MCT Pepdite and level off with a clean, dry knife. Do not press the powder into the scoop. Only use the scoop provided.
4. Add the prescribed number of scoops of MCT Pepdite to the water. Replace the cap on the bottle and shake until the powder dissolves Before feeding ensure that the formula is at the correct temperature by placing a few drops on the wrist.
5. Formula remaining in the bottle after one hour of feeding should be discarded. Formula must not be rewarmed during feeding.
Powdered infant formula is not sterile.
Where possible, and especially for infants who are vulnerable to infection, prepare formula immediately prior to feeding.
If formula is prepared in advance it must be cooled rapidly, stored in the refrigerator (20C to 40C) and used within 24 hours of preparation. Any formula remaining after 24 hours from preparation must be discarded. Shake or stir formula immediately before use Formula should not be warmed for longer than 15 minutes prior to feeding. Do not boil formula and do not use a microwave oven to prepare or warm formula For tube feeding ‚¬šhang time should not exceed 4 hours.
MCT Pepdite is now ready for use.
When bottle feeding, prolonged or frequent contact of feeds with the infants teeth should be discouraged as this increases the risk of tooth decay. Cleaning the infants teeth after the last feed at night should be encouraged.