Suspension available Here
Threadworm, sometimes called pinworm is a common problem. It can spread easily to adults and other family members. A common symptom of threadworm is an itchy bottom or vagina, particularly at night.
Ovex is a single dose medicine used in adults and children to treat threadworm of the intestines. Its active ingredient mebendazole works by starving the worms in the gut of glucose, which they need to thrive. The treatment kills off the worms but doesn’t destroy their eggs. The eggs can survive for up to two weeks outside the body, so it is often recommended that the whole family is treated to help avoid recurring infections.
A single dose of this medicine will kill threadworms, although it might not destroy the eggs, which may cause re-infection and infect other people. It is therefore strongly recommended that all members of the family (except pregnant and breastfeeding women and children under two) are treated at the same time and that precautions are taken to prevent re-infection.
- If symptoms continue, tell your doctor. In case of re-infection, a second tablet can be taken after two weeks.
- This product is not recommended in children under 2 years.
- This medicine is not to be taken if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed on the pack or the information leaflet. In such cases, consult with your doctor to receive alternative treatment.
- Mebendazole may not react well to other medications, so if you’re on any other medicines, consult with your doctor/pharmacist before taking Ovex.
Side effects are rare, although stomach pain is relatively common.
- Uncommon side effects include diarrhoea and wind.
- Rare side effects that have been reported include unusual hair loss, dizziness, convulsions or allergic reactions.
- If you do experience any side effects, you should consult your doctor straight away.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not give to children under the age of 2.
How to Use
• Take one tablet only. A single tablet is sufficient for killing off all the worms. An overdose will not be more effective.
• Chew or swallow the tablet whole.
• Crush tablet before giving to young children 2 yrs and over
- Mebendazole 100 mg per tablet
- Microcrystalline Cellulose
- Sodium Starch Glycolate
- Sodium Saccharin
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
- Orange Flavour and Orange Yellow S (E110)
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £40