Buscopan Cramp Tablets
Buscopan Cramps Tablets provide fast, effective relief from stomach and bowel cramps which cause pain and discomfort associated with your digestive tract, and can also be used to relieve symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
The active ingredient in Buscopan Cramps Tablets is hyoscine butylbromide, an antispasmodic that works by relaxing the cramping muscles of your stomach and bowel, or urinary tract. Unlike painkillers which mask the pain, Buscopan Cramps Tablets work directly on the cause of pain - the spasm in the gut.
For relief of painful spasm of the stomach, bowel or bladder and urinary tubes (urinary tract)
- Adults, and children 12 years or over: Take 2 tablets four times a day
- Children 6 to 12 years: Take 1 tablet three times a day.
- Children under 6 years: Not recommended.
For the relief of abdominal pain in Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Adults, and children 12 years or over: Start by taking 1 tablet three times a day. You can increase your dose to a maximum of 2 tablets four times a day, if needed.
Children under 12 years: Not recommended.
The tablets should be swallowed whole with water. Do not take Buscopan Cramps Tablets continuously for more than two weeks. Talk to your pharmacist or doctor if you develop symptoms or if your symptoms get worse or have not improved over two weeks.
- Active Ingredient: Hyoscine Butylbromide 10mg.
- Other Ingredients: Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate, Maize Starch, Soluble Starch, Colloidal Silica, Tartaric Acid, Stearic Acid, Sucrose, Talc, Acacia, Titanium Dioxide, Macrogol 6000, Carnauba Wax, White Beeswax and Povidone.
Some people may have temporary blurring of vision while taking this medicine. If this happens to you, wait until your vision returns to normal before driving or using any tools or machines.
Do not take Buscopan Cramps Tablets if:
- You are allergic to hyoscine butylbromide or any of the other ingredients.
- You are intolerant to or cannot digest some sugars (as the tablet coating contains a small amount of sucrose).
- You have glaucoma (an eye problem).
- You have megacolon (a very enlarged bowel).
- You have something called ‘myasthenia gravis' (a very rare muscle weakness problem).
- You are pregnant, likely to get pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Check with your pharmacist or doctor before taking Buscopan Cramps Tablets if:
- You are 40 years or over.
- You have recently passed blood from the bowel.
- You have severe constipation.
- You are feeling sick or vomiting.
- You have lost your appetite or lost weight.
- You are looking pale and feeling tired.
- You have difficulty or pain passing water (urine).
- You have a fever.
- You have abnormal vaginal bleeding or discharge.
- You have recently travelled abroad (in case you have picked up a stomach bug).
- You have a very fast heart rate or other heart problems.
- You have been treated by a doctor for a severe sweating problem.
Please tell your pharmacist or doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained over the counter. This includes herbal medicines. This is because Buscopan Cramps Tablets can affect the way some other medicines work. Also some other medicines can affect the way Buscopan Cramps Tablets work.
In particular tell your pharmacist or doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Antihistamines - used to treat hay fever and other allergies.
- Tetracyclic or tricyclic medicines - used to treat depression and some types of pain.
- Antipsychotic medicines such as butyrophenones or phenothiazines - used to treat severe mental illness such as schizophrenia.
- Dopamine antagonists such as metoclopramide for feeling sick.
- Beta 2 adrenergic medicines such as blue inhalers for asthma.
- Anything used to control your heart beat.
- Parkinson's disease and flu.
- Medicines inhaled to treat breathing problems.